Monday, May 5, 2008

Riding with Mark

Mark bought me a cookie this weekend.

After almost 30 miles of riding hills he was feeling bonkish, passed a bake sale, stopped for a treat, and got me one also. This was his first long ride in more than a month—since he hit a pothole, went down on his bike, and separated his shoulder on March 29th.

The bake sale was located after about 7 miles of sustained climbing, on the inside curve of a short, flat area, just before the road banked right for a turn onto a steep uphill.

I was a half mile behind Mark, struggling after another week of yet again being sick—a “spring cold” as my sister put it—and still having difficulty with my lungs due to a lingering congestion in my chest and a cough that just won’t go away.

Coming up the hill, going into the flat, right-banked stretch of road, I always move into my big ring to gather momentum for the next (steep) uphill stretch. I was exceptionally tired. Too many workouts missed due to illness, too many hours on my feet at work, feeling drained, I just wanted to get as much speed as possible, and get up that last, danged hill—so I flew by the bake sale, and just as I was passing I heard a chorus of children’s voices, “Naomi? Are you Naomi? Mark bought you a cookie!”

Huh? It took a moment to process all the yelling. Are they talking to me?

I was already moving into the uphill stretch, and just wanted everything to be over (even though I was only half way through the ride) and didn’t want to stop.

So, I didn’t.

But I also didn’t to want to disappoint Mark.

And, I couldn’t stop thinking about that cookie.

So on the way back down, I stopped, and picked up TWO cookies.

And 20 miles later, I was glad I did. Sun-burned, wind-blown, struggling with fatigue, concentrating to just keep turning the pedals--one of those sweet, chocolate laden confections of sugar, flour, butter, and eggs, got me through the last 8 miles of riding.

AND,

I still have another left,

For whenever I need a boost,

And a really nice memory.

On the flip side of this weekend, I did the Run 4 The Zoo 10K on Sunday. It was another struggle-fest due to the muscle soreness I could feel with each step--but it was over a whole lot quicker. 56 minutes and change quicker. Bleah. Not my best, but certainly an exercise in pushing through fatigue.

In a nutshell, the morning temp was extra cold, my legs hurt and my hands felt like ice until mile 2.5, the mile 4 split was too short, so I felt like I was on target for my estimated time--only to find out later that I wasn't, it was very nice to see Pirate, Bones and his main squeeze (thanks for the hug!), and Miguel but the large crowd was disconcerting, and I followed the 10K with a slow 5K without replenishing myself after the 10K, and ended up super dehydrated.

Still, it's nice to have a 10K benchmark, since I haven't done one for awhile.

And, my legs are now super sore this morning.

I feel like I had a good weekend.

8 comments:

ShirleyPerly said...

Sounds like they picked a really good spot to sell them. My husband's coworkers gave him a bunch of homemade cookies this weekend since it was his birthday. Started thinking they might be as good as energy bar pieces in my Bento Box :-)

Sorry to hear about Mark's crash but glad he's back to riding!!

Anonymous said...

I could be persuaded to ride a big hill with a cookie...I love cookies! That was thoughtful of Mark :)

Nice job pushing through the fatique in the zoo run. Sounds like it was a cold morning.

Glad you had a good weekend, too!

Bones said...

ohhh, ahhh cookies! I love bake sales. Hey we should do a bake sale for a team fundraiser and put it right at the Alameda trail head.... :)

Great seeing you on Sunday!

skoshi said...

An Alameda trailhead bake sale on a weekend morning? Seriously, that's a GREAT idea.

Podium quest said...

You two have got to be one of the coolest couples I've ever met.

Podium quest said...

I don't have your email. But I would LOVE to hear what you have to say about the Moose Man. What's the course like? Well supported? Weather? Any info I'd love to hear. thanks so much!

Podium quest said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Herself, the GeekGirl said...

All together now: Awwwwwwwwww!

Very cute.