Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Longhorn 70.3--after the race....

T and I got back to the normal routine of things on the day after the race--stumping around at work on a level of soreness that T called "Worse than moderate," and that I defined as "Moderate?! I can't @#k&* move!"

I spent the day in a way that no one who has that kind of muscle pain should have to do, crawling around on my knees, stooping, kneeling, smiling and swallowing my "ooufs"--jealous of a fellow co-worker who had done the Xterra Championship race in Nevada the same day, and who had wisely taken Monday off...

Monday afternoon my tummy felt a little off and by that evening I was sure I had picked up some kind of food poisoning from workplace cafeteria food. A miserable night followed.

Then a miserable day.

Another miserable night.

And another miserable day.

Epidermal hypersensitivity.

Almost no food intake--a little broth, instant mashed potatoes, half a banana.

No one else at work had a miserable tummy, so on the second day it dawned on me that I might be ill from the water I had swallowed in the lake during my pre-race practice swim on Saturday.

It did cross my mind that I might have gotten ill from Austin tap water--which tasted like dirt and algae--just not quite as strong as the lake water, but nearly so--then realized that T wasn't sick. Only I.

I was sick through Wednesday. Fortunately, my tummy cleared on Thursday--the same day my legs finally felt good enough to allow T and I to truly start our "off" season with our first rock climbing session in almost a year.

After that, T and I were pretty much recovered--just continuing to allow ourselves to completely lose all muscle fatigue and regain our desire. 8 days after the race, the following Monday, I went for my first run, a brisk, at-tempo 5 miler, that felt fresh in a way I hadn't felt for some time. Triathlon training doesn't leave much time for "fresh, fully recovered legs" running, but this run felt just like that. It brought back the fun and made me look forward to more.

The bad part of this recovery was the several nights without sleep (unhappy tummy nights) combined with the poor nutritonal intake for several days after a big race effort for a definite double whammy to my system.

The good part is that I took off a few pounds--allowing me to feel confidant about fitting into my costume (built around a $3 find at the Kaimuki Goodwill a few years ago) for the upcoming Halloween bash in 2 weeks.

The moral of the story is be cautious when it comes to drinking Austin water--whether from a lake or the tap (it really did taste bad).


Walter E. Long Lake aka Decker Lake, Austin, TX

5 comments:

ShirleyPerly said...

I've always wondered whether it's possible to get sick from drinking too much water during a lake swim. I mean, when you go camping/backpacking you're always told to boil, filter or use tablets on untreated water before drinking, right?

Anyway, glad to hear you're over this nasty stomach bug. Look forward to hearing what your Halloween costume is going to be!

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

"Epidermal hypersensitivity." I always wondered what that was called! Hope you're permanantly over this soon!

Anonymous said...

Uck - glad you feeling better. I'm a little worried about swallowing some water at SoMa :/

Steve Stenzel said...

That sounds HORRIBLE! But, like you said, at least you lost a few pound! Ha!!

Podium quest said...

Glad to hear your legs are better & you've lost a few pounds. Even if the lost
pounds were from a horrible situation. So you off season is already over? You
are an animal!