Monday, November 12, 2007

WRAPPING IT UP FOR THE SEASON

Southwest Challenge Triathlon & Duathlon Series Age Group Champion here.

Finally.

At least I think I am.

I worked hard enough for it.

I even got into the water more than once a week.

Now, that’s a biggie.

I can’t seem to access the Southwest Challenge points page, so going on my (somewhat biased) recollection, here goes:

OVERALL FEMALE WIN (I’m proud of this one)(Plus I got shwag—or whatever you call it)
Stealth Duathlon (Fastest female bike!! –what I live for)

SECOND OVERALL FEMALE (Proud of these, too)
John Stermer Duathlon (Fastest female bike – yup, I’m livin’ large!!)
Sully Super Sprint A.K.A. Alpine Triathlon

AGE GROUP WINS (First, first, first among women my age!)
Stealth Duathlon
Alpine Triathlon
F1 Triathlon (swim-swim-bike-run-bike-run)
Cotton Country Triathlon

SECOND PLACE AGE GROUP (Drat—there really are people better than me…)
Polar Bear Triathlon
John Stermer Duathlon
Atomic Duathlon—the FAT BOY (l-o-o-o-g version) (pg. 2)
Gallup Triathlon (inaugural)
Bottomless Triathlon

MISC FINISHES (OK, I know, I know, I really do need to work harder…)
Mesilla Valley Track Club Triathlon – 4th AG
Jay Benson Triathlon—6th AG
Grady Williams Memorial Triathlon (Olympic) – 3rd AG

PLUS, TWO HALF IRONMAN RACES (travel, friends, and good fun endurance--love this stuff):
Ford 70.3 Half Ironman Honu—June 3rd, Hapuna Beach, Big Island, Hawaii
Barbs Race – August 4th, Guerneville, California (flat tire, 5th AG)

BEEN WORKING TOWARD THIS FOR 4 YEARS.

I've finally progressed past the 8-Day training program I used to use just prior to a race event in 2003, my year of Tri-Team Southwest training where I got left behind a lot in 2004, my very haphazard training program in 2005 (just do what feels good, and be grumpy when you don't get results), and my "off year" of next to no training in 2006 (try doing a Half Ironman off the couch...ooh, my knees...).

Along the way I shed a job that was taking Way, WAY, WAY too much of my time.

I had a great training year in 2007, bettered myself, and earned the trophy.

Looking forward to unknowns and betterment next year.

See y'all at the races.

Now-- Back to the off season

Swim



















Bike



Run





















DONE!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...congratulations! You're an animal! Those are awesome accomplishments, and your hard work really paid off :)

I tried to answer questions about La Luz for you on the comments of my blog. BTW, thanks for calling me an "experienced hiker"..hehe...not so sure about that. This hike should be a sinch for you! I forgot to mention that it costs $3 for parking. Also, I bet Pirate can answer any other questions about the trail since she's done the race.

Oly said...

Whoa!

I'm bowing down.

Great season!

SWTrigal said...

N-CONGRATULATIONS!! Geez i remember the days of one your first open water swims at Dexter. Look how far you have come!!! Good job girlfriend!

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Congratulations - from, if I may say so, another 2007 champion. Who, by the way, works out at the DNSW over just east of the Academy. It not only has an outdoor hot tub, but it is adults only. So is the locker room. This is especially attractive to a teacher.

klbarrus said...

Hi Skoshi,
I got your comment on the Florida Half and questions for the May 08 event. I'll drum up some more info for you, but a quick answer about camping - I think it would be pretty miserable in the heat and humidity that time of year. But then I haven't camped so I don't know first hand (I live about 40 miles away from the event so I just drive).

T said...

Yep, like I always said...You are my hero (heroin?).

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

Yaaay! you totally deserve it! you worked hard!

Iron Eric said...

It looks like you had a really awesome race. Your hard work has really paid off. My hard work is paying off too, but I haven't placed yet. Maybe next year? I want to pick a really small race, so I have a better chance :)

Floria HIM is awesome. My wife and I stay at the The Palms Hotel by Lexington in Kissimmee, FL. It was pretty inexpensive, but pretty close to the race. I use the Bike Transport that is sponsored through the race. I would highly recommend it, unless you feel comfortable taking your bike apart. The race itself was great, but hard. No wetsuits, bike is flat and the run was tough. I PR'd at a different race this year, but Florida 70.3 was my first. Email me if you have any further questions about the course. I will be glad to share.

ShirleyPerly said...

Holy smokes! What a year for you -- CONGRATS!!

This is my second year of tris and I think I've got my nutrition and swimming figured out for the most part, finally. Seeing all your races has made me think about trying some shorter events next year, though. I've only done one sprint tri and one 5K and both were a while ago ...

Anonymous said...

Hey skoshi!

Just wanted to let you know my husband and I hiked La Luz again today (do I seem obsessed with that mountain?) Anyway, the overlook part is actually at the 2.7 mile marker, not 2.4 or 2.9. I knew it was somewhere in there :) It took us roughly an hour to get there. You just go off to the right at that marker.

The weather was a bit cooler this time. We still wore shorts, but were really glad to have layers on top. Some parts I got hot, then some parts were windy and cold. Maybe I was just having menopausal hot-flashes though, cuz my husband kept his windshirt on the whole time.

We actually made it to the top in 3 and a half hours. It was much easier this time...don't know if it's because I had a better breakfast or because there was less talking and more "zen-zone" ;)

Hope the weather stays nice for you and your sister.