Monday, December 3, 2007

Literary License

In August of this year, I wrote a brief essay - summation - thought about the death, and life, of Michael Reardon. It was a piece of writing that came from the heart and poured out as a single piece of celebration and anguish. It was one of those pieces of writing that form themselves, with a minimum of contrivance, adjustment, or editing. It was a piece that started with a great introduction (kind of my signature), went a bit downhill from there, but still included a facile use of words, with attention to the juxtaposition of this with that to add poetry and prose to what was a painful wrench of a subject.

Sometime later, I received a copy of ROCK and ICE, a rock climbing magazine "built by climbers", which 1) addressed the death of Michael Reardon, and 2) offered a pair of climbing shoes to a letter selected as the lead-off for their letters section.

So, I sent them a copy of what I had written.

I was already a bit incensed that they had not featured a photo of Michael on the cover of this particular issue, and wanted to give them a lay persons perspective on this larger than life man.

As well as the fact that a free pair of rock shoes is nothing to sneeze at--especially for this household.

Then I forgot about it.

Until the January '08 issue arrived.

Today.

In my mailbox.

I turned to the letters section first, because it's one I like to read for the various input and feedback from the community.

A letter caught my eye.

Gee, this one sounds familiar.

Could it be that essay that I sent in? Naw--can't be--reads like just about some of the worst writing I've ever read--but still--Nope--I would never have said that--plus some of it doesn't pertain at all--Wait--WHAT?--that's my name printed at the end of it--OMG!!! --who the heck changed around what I wrote then attached my name to it?--It's so awful, they should have put their own name to it--better yet, they should have just burned their creation in some eternal fire somewhere--plus whoever added in all that awful English, also added some things that I didn't write and are strictly UNTRUE--

Does writing a letter to the editor allow for literary license? Falsehood? Extremely BAD writing (or extremely bad editing)??

After making a considerable amount of noise around the house,
disturbing my bear of a patient man,
re-reading the worst parts at the top of my lungs,
and re-living the embarrassment of having my name attached to the "thing,"
I am considering asking for a retraction.

Finally, distrust worms its way through my vocal outburst, and I wonder --what else is being changed by this magazine (in the interest of bad editing or self promotion)?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe they changed your writing like that! I'm sorry this has happened!

I hope someone will make it right.

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

I write for a living. It takes a long, long time to lose pride of authorship and just turn it over.

You wrote the words, it's yours. When you submit it for publication, it's not yours anymore. It's not personal.

Trust that they liked your work enough to use it - that it was excellent enough for them to put their own touches on it. They change things to suit their own purposes, it has nothing to do with your ability.

It's not personal.

I liked your post a lot - did you get the shoes?

skoshi said...

Ahh--a fellow writer, and
Oof--thanks for the feedback.
I definitely know it's not personal, but bad writing and bad editing are just that--BAD. What tipped it is that they credited me with something, in the interest of self promotion, that just wasn't true and had nothing to do with what I had written about--completely unacceptable--that's just no longer editing.
(Psst-- long history of writing here. 20-some scientific papers smattered all over the internet, poetry and prose published, milieu of writing, publishing, editing for as long as I can remember, etc, etc, etc.)
Finally, for me and me alone, it bears repeating-- bad writing is BAD WRITING--a good editor makes it work. The one at this magazine didn't know what to do with the particular piece I had sent in. Not a reflection on my ability by any means.
I guess if I were to lower my expectations, I can't expect anything more than that.

p.s. No, I did not get the shoes--but (in my emphatic and personal opinion) the original essay should have done the trick...

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

I know what you mean. It's a bummer when you have to lower your expectations.

well poop - you deserved the shoes!

Podium quest said...

That is just wrong. Not enough people these days cate about what is right or
honorable & then publishing mags & news papers wonder why there are less
readers. That's a prime example why blogs are so popular.