Sunday, March 16, 2008

Dust storm in New Mexico.

Normally, New Mexico is "Big Sky" country.

Big, blue skies and grand vistas out to the horizon, distant mountains, volcanic formations, red and brown rocks and scrubby brush stretching as far as the eye can see.

Today, however, our visibility was reduced to the countryside just around us. At some points, we actually drove into a wall of dust and couldn't see the car in front of us.

The wind whipped sideways constantly. Tumble weeds were impelled sideways--they didn't roll and skitter, but flew--across the highway.

My eyes have been watering, nose plugged, lungs wheezing.

Right now, the wind is recorded at 28 mph with gusts up to 35 mph in Alamogordo, New Mexico.


Imagine riding 18 mph into 20 mph headwinds.

Pushing the biggest gear you can.

Trying to catch that one woman who runs better than you, and who seems to be slicing through the wind like butter (later you'll find your bike speeds were comparable).

Today, T and I participated in the Stealth Duathlon at Holloman Airforce Base, Alamogordo, New Mexico. 5k run, 30k bike, 35k-but-feels-like-70k winds. Dust, dust, and more dust.

T had an excellent race, despite a wrong turn and multiple episodes of emesis during the bike.

His legs felt good on the run. When I first saw him he was in 5th place on the return, while I was still making my way out. I was huffing and puffing and wheezing. It's unfortunate that I realized there was no one else in my age group--as this allowed me to ease up slightly. As I finished up my run, I saw T making a sudden, discombobulated turn on the bike. He had zipped past a silent volunteer who allowed him, and the man behind him, to turn in the wrong direction. It was the returning runners who yelled to alert him of his mistake, but he lost precious seconds, and in the end, it cost him the fastest bike split.

On the bike, feeling in my element, I surged and took advantage of the tailwind, short lived, which rapidly turned into a crosswind, and then, at the turn-around, became a relentless barrier to forward movement. I was chasing the young, blonde woman who was at least 3 minutes ahead of me after the run (no surprise). I saw T in 4th place, chasing Jason. He had forgotten his water bottle, and was vomiting repeatedly, a welcome moisture to his dehydrated, parched mouth. I don't know how he made up two places, but he did. As I approached the turn around, and spotted my competition, I realized I wasn't gaining ground, but as with every race, "it's not over 'til it's over," so I optimistically continued to bull-head my way through the wind in the biggest gear I could turn efficiently.

Both the run and bike course were slightly long (the run turn-around aid station was situated beyond the turn around for protection from the wind). I had a remarkably slow run with T telling me he could hear me wheezing, but was happy with an average 20.6 mph on the bike in the wind.

In the end, T finished second Overall to Jason (who looks even faster with his new haircut!) and I finished 2nd female overall to the blonde woman.

Lunch was fun with an Outlaw turnout in which each one of us medaled:

Carl: 1st 50-54 (wry, dry humor and the fastest helmet around)
Greg: 2nd 45-49 (nice to see the Candy man after last years break)
Cody: 3rd 30-34 (an impressive FIRST TIME racing as an Age Grouper and not Clydesdale)
Karen: 1st Athena (happy to pass 7 people on the bike)

The improvements to this race are measurable.

Passing through the entry checkpoint was rapid, with one guard checking our names against a list and refusing T's insurance card, saying he didn't need to see it. The bathrooms were unlocked at a decently early hour to allow us access while setting up transition (unlike previous years). At 7:00 am, the doors to the fitness center seemed to burst open as a legion of volunteers in yellow T-shirts exited to join us in the parking lot. The race started on time. There were 7 aid stations on the course. Volunteers were stationed at just about every intersection. A car was parked across one of the dubious "Y" intersections to prevent erroneous navigation. A complementary lunch was held in the Officer's Club, and the results were tabulated early. The race director is obviously dedicated to making improvements.

There was a small turnout today, probably due to the predicted high winds, but it's a good race, and appears to be overcoming past difficulties. I never thought I'd say this, but I actually had fun challenging the wind. Now, if they could only re-pave that road...

5 comments:

S. Baboo said...

Great job! I wish I could have been there but other things were calling.

ShirleyPerly said...

Wow, what a bike split in that wind! Glad none of those tumbleweeds came across when you guys were riding. I once drove up to Alburquerque from Las Cruces in high winds and had one hit my rental car -- SCARY!!

Sounds like you're off to a great race season, even if not at 100%. Great job!!!

Anonymous said...

Great job in that wind!! That's some bike split! I bet any race with some wind will seem like nothing after that one.

We were out yesterday afternoon and couldn't believe how much wind and dust there was. A stoplight had fallen at one intersection.

Congrats to you and T!

Bones said...

I hate racing in the wind! Sorry I missed the race but not sorry I missed the wind! It was nasty here in ABQ as well. We had 63mph gusts and the west side was a giant dust bowl.

Glad to hear the RD is making a effort to improve the race! Congratulations on the 2nd overall, very cool!!

peter said...

Nice race, nice relating of it. The sky is usually endless and blue out there, but when the wind gets to blowing...

I wouldn't have wanted to be on a bike in it. Good job, you and all the racers.