Sunday, March 2, 2008

Human Cells are ~ 65-90% Water

Recently, I have been thirsty all the time.

I have a dry-sucking, bitter-tasting, gummy, tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth, inside cheeks stuck to my outside gums feeling that I can’t seem to get rid of.

I try to drink a lot, but I’m not getting enough. I can tell because no matter how much I think I am waterlogging myself, I keep peeing dark.

Part of this is being ill. My body doesn’t know how to regulate itself when it lies in bed for several days in a row.

Part of this could be the medicine I’m taking.

Part of this just might be a subtle loss of my brain’s ability to accurately determine how much water I need when I’m thirsty.

Now that I’m starting to feel better, we went for a run this morning. Instead of carrying water (like we knew we should) we opted to aim for the university campus and stop for a drink there.

Our mistake was running on Sunday.

The campus was locked up tight.

There wasn't an outdoor fountain to be found.

I didn’t feel too bad because the temperature was dropping and the wind was picking up--nice coolish temperatures which kept me from over heating—but I did start wondering if I would get an irregular heart beat from the stress to my system due to a lack of blood volume and lack of rehydration to my steadily shrinking cells.
Now, that’s a bit of insight into my hypochondriacal side.

Lucky for us, Taco Bell opens early.

At 6 miles, we stopped in and asked for a cup of water.

I have to give props for the attendant’s adherence to fast food service soft drink rules, attention to detail, and customer service. Instead of the little, flimsy plastic throw–away cup filled with tepid tap water that I expected to receive, she gave us a tall, sturdy, heavy-duty paper, filled-to-the-brim-with-ice cup, topped with a snap on lid.

Filled-to-the-brim-with-ice.

Not much water in there. A few sips and I got an ice cream headache. But that was OK, because those few sip used up all the water and there was no more ice water left to make the headache worse.

Plus, I immediately felt that I was going to live.

To top it off, it looked like snow over the Sandias—and the wind felt like snow on the street.
So, who wants ice water with that?

The rest of the run was finished in high form: T ran away from me (can you blame him?), I wondered how someone who’s been sick for as many days as I had been could think a nine mile run was feasible, the temperature kept dropping, and the return was all up hill--
but I knew that I was going to live.

It’s amazing what a little water can do.

I think I’ll try and drink more of it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got some water out there, and hope you start to feel completely better soon!

I was out there this morning, too. It looked nice at first and there was a nice, cool breeze. OMG...it just kept getting windier and colder. At one point, sand was blowing at me so hard it felt like little pins and needles poking me. I tried to convince myself it was a little session of acupunture or something :)

peter said...

Hilarious post. I tend to run late at night and get to know the 24 hour gas station people (I carry water, so this is another problem that crops up in runs) and like the Stones said in Let It Bleed, you get what you need. Thanks for stopping by, and I value your "knowing it wasn't something I was able to do at the time" comment. That helps, so thanks! Hope it works out for you and him, you wouldn't believe what it looks like from the other side.

My folks retired to Santa Fe. Alb. is so nice!

Unknown said...

After a few dehydration scares last summer, I now pretty much *always* run with my fuel belt.

Glad you are feeling better. There's been a lot of yuck going around...

ShirleyPerly said...

Definitely scary knowing that you were possibly/probably dehydrated even before you headed out! Thank goodness for cool weather and Taco Bell (one of my husband's favorite restaurants, believe it or not!).

Bones said...

hummm, sounds like me when I race anything over a oly :)

Hope you are finally hydrated!