Wednesday, August 27, 2008

What's This About An Internet Push-Up Challenge?

I did 55 push-ups yesterday.

I started by thinking I would do 3 sets of 10.

On a Bosu ball.

Then, I figured, why not add a few. So, I brought it up to 3 sets of 15.

Good push-ups, with plank like form, and deep elbows to bring my rib cage all the way down to the ball. NO bend at the hips. Head, neck and back all in good alignment. Breathing deep.

That's because the guys at work are always checking out my form.
They can't help themselves.
It's their job.

And it keeps me on my toes.

My co-worker, S. (of course, checking out what I was doing) came bounding over with two bolsters in this hands. "Have you tried this?"
He said I looked bored.
So, he set me up with one palm on each bolster, laying lengthwise, parallel to me, and had me simultaneously push each bolster laterally away from me as I lowered, then pull them in until they were under me as I pushed up.
Boredom hadn't really crossed my mind, when I was doing the initial push-ups.
In fact, I thought I looked like I was concentrating on my form and breathing--and making it to the last push-up of the last set.
But these new push-ups were fun.
And challenging.
So, I did 10, then ran out of time.

Good thing I was saved by the bell.
My pecs and delts (anterior) are remarkably sore today!

5 comments:

Podium quest said...

I'm impressed with you push up prowess. I suck at push ups.I can do more dips & pull ups
than push ups. You could probably take me to school in push ups. Say, what's
this internet challenge thing you mentioned?

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Um. i can do 10 now, as long as I rest for a really long time after the first 6.

skoshi said...

Misty--10 push ups is absolutely cool! Push ups are HARD, especially for us women.
There's a story behind my upper body strength, which started at a fairly young age--and over the years, I've been fortunate to retain a good bit of it.
I don't have a story about challenging my VO2, or leg strength, or swimming--so that's probably why I can't do any of these now.....
I think starting young gives the ultimate base training.
But what you're doing is to be absolutely admired. Building up push up strength is HARD.

Cody--I can't do dips. Very, very hard for me. Funny, how each of us has different strengths and weaknesses....
:)
p.s. I sent you an email, as well as linked the push up challenge.
N.

Bones said...

Wow! Very Wow! I was thinking about doing the 100 pushup thing but quickly wimped out! Good luck! :)

skoshi said...

Hey Bones, I'm not doing the push-up challenge. It just kind of got me thinking about doing them. I currently aspire to just being more consistent in actually doing push-ups.