Sunday, March 29, 2009

Sitting on my Keister...

D-r-r-at!

Just when it feels like my training is getting consistent,
and just when it feels like I am getting my fitness "sea-legs" under me,
and just when the weather is starting to get nicer (well, sort of...),
I am spending, what looks to be, about two weeks on my keister.

I spent two weeks on my keister in February.
I was in California in a dim and exceptionally drab Norwegian dance hall (think dark wood paneling, '50's style greenish linoleum flooring, and 25 watt light bulbs), learning advanced technique for neurological rehab.
I was in that room for just about 10 hours a day.
The rest of each day was spent doing hours of detailed homework.
Hours.
With a PENCIL and paper, because that's how they wanted it.

I could have done the course elsewhere, but I chose this location so I could spend time with my sister.
Hah.
She spent her time putting food in front of me, because I had so much homework each night, I couldn't take a break--and that's about all we saw of each other.

I have since found out that courses in other locations are not nearly as rigorous.
They are a week shorter and teach applied technique.
My course appears to emphasize the theoretical. By the time I am done, I will be able to expound on activation, alignment, and missing components of movement--and probably be able to propel a rocket to the moon.
But, I am not sure how my technique will be.

I sat for just about all of my waking hours.
I felt sedentary and awful.
I gained weight.
I even gained BACK fat.
It took a month of being home and getting back to work and training, to finally feel normal.

And now I am doing it again.
For the same course.
Which hasn't ended yet.
Now it's a 28 page homework assignment.
One page alone has 24 questions on it. And some of the questions have multiple sub-parts.
So, I am sitting on my keister again.
Trying to dig through and complete a massive pile of work.
All, so I can become better at what I do.

It's not quite as bad as it was in February, and I try to squeeze in what I can.

Yesterday, after a week of not running, I went out for a neighborhood jaunt from my house to the university golf course. It felt great, but my quads, suffering from dis-use, started to feel actively sore before I made it home.
However, I was OK until today, when I went for a bike ride.
Ouch.
I felt like I might not make it home, my quads were so tired and sore.

I have another 2 weeks of trying to balance homework and training.
Even though I am learning a lot, and I like what I am learning, I am frustrated at how lopsided and unhealthy my life is right now.
I can't believe I have another 2 weeks of sedentariness coming up. Plus, I have to go back for another week of actual hands-on course work.
Just thinking about it gives me traumatic stress syndrome.
I hope I come out on the other end OK.
At least, I hope I can keep off the back fat.

6 comments:

SWTrigal said...

A. I think we saw you yesterday (someone said "isn't that N&T? on the canal trail")
B. you and T were randomly in my dream last night. We were doing a triathlon in the ocean and you were trying a "weight belt" I didnt think it would work so well for the swim but you thought it would..random...

Bones said...

Hey N!

Cool running into you guys yesterday! (even though we didn't stop and talk) It sucks to take that much time out of your training. Humm, back fat, Never thought much about that! :)

skoshi said...

Yes, it was great seeing you guys also (altho' everyone was so bundled up, I only managed to pick out H. and Lorna).
That dream is so totally random! Perhaps the weight belt is a metaphor for how I feel in the water...

Bones,
Don't think it.
Back fat is NOT a happy thought!!

ShirleyPerly said...

There's seldom a good time to be sedentary for 2 weeks, esp. for those of us who are used to being so active. But sometimes things need to get done and probably better earlier in the year than later. Good luck with the class!

Podium quest said...

Uhg. I feel for you. I'm getting claustrophobic just reading about it!

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

OMG what IS it with you people and BACK FAT? It's not that bad when you get used to it...
But seriously. I'm not sure what's worse, missing out on training or the "dark wood paneling, '50's style greenish linoleum flooring, and 25 watt light bulbs" Ew. I mean, I like retro, but--ew.