Saturday, July 26, 2008

Chiaroscuro

It's 11:00 Saturday night, and I'm standing in the dimly lit, cavernous, cement underground tunnel of the DC metro.
I'm by myself.
A few moments before, Mark had been next to me. Now he's just a shadowy figure back lit against the solidly shut doors of a train, receding smoothly into the distance at an ever increasing rate of speed.

I imagine an expression of whoops!-amazement on his face, which now I can no longer see.

There's a blank pause as the world slows down and I take it all in--then an uh-oh, now-what-do-I-do moment, as I realize my guide is disappearing down the tracks, I don't know where I'm going, and I'm alone, late at night, left behind in the DC Metro.

I think about calling him on the phone, but at almost the same time, realize I don't have service in the semi-bowel's of the city ("semi" because I'm sure there's another shadowy layer beneath me, peopled by who knows what).

I wander over to the direction sign, and realize it was a good thing I had pestered Mark so much on the way out about where we were going. I recognize Metro Center, the name of the station where we transferred earlier and reason that Mark will either 1) get off at the next stop, and come right back for me, or 2) wait for me at Metro Center.

Well...maybe.

What if he comes back, and I've already gone?

His phone doesn't get reception in the tunnels, either.

A few people start to trickle in to catch the next train, and that isolated feeling of being in the underworld starts to abate.

I just have to have faith that he'll do the right thing.

And so I sit and wait for the next train, and almost begin to laugh.

The movie scene pathos and poignancy of it all.

We had run down the steps trying to catch a train before it pulled out. The train was sitting there with the doors open, and as Mark leaped through, one step ahead of me, I thought "uh-oh, how long have these doors been open?" What flashed through my mind was Mark's story of his first day on the Metro, shoving a large bike box ahead of him through the open door of the train--and having the doors close and clamp halfway down on the box. He said the feeling was one of "horror and embarrassment," as he envisioned the train leaving and taking his bike, so he frantically pulled, and hauled, and tugged to get the box back (it was commute hour and people on the train were watching--hence the embarrassment). What he marveled at was how quick and hard those doors closed--and wondered if anyone ever got caught in them.

And so, as Mark leapt onto the train--thinking about what he had said about the doors, I may have hesitated for a moment--and the doors closed.
Just like that.
Mark turned, saw me, and reached for the door. I reached from my side. And for a long moment, we were a tableaux, he in light, me in shadow, reaching, yearning, on either side of this immovable barrier--then the train began to move.

Later, at Metro Center, disembarking into a sea of people, Mark found me, relief in his voice, and we continued home, together.

You never know when you'll have a movie moment,
and,
it might not be the movie moment you want.

Finally,
what do you do when the cell phones don't work?

post script
The thought of Mark running around looking for me on the railroad tracks reminded me of an early sci-fi short story from my father's bookshelf, "A Streetcar Named Desire," about a ghost car that ran the tracks and would disappear, than reappear. I believe it was the D line. And it ran on a mobius. I tried to locate the story online to share with Mark, but couldn't find it. Not sure if I have the correct title. Anyone familiar with it?

post, post script
The post title is dedicated to Mark.

7 comments:

ShirleyPerly said...

Glad you guys were able to meet up later! And thanks for the reminder that cell phones don't always work in some places (and that batteries sometimes run out at the most inconvenient times). Guess when on travel it's always good to discuss where to meet up in case we should get separated.

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Streetcar Named Desire is a drama, usually a play. A movie was made with Vivian Leigh in which she played a hystrionic woman. I never heard of the other story, sorry!

skoshi said...

Thanks GG--the SciFi title was a play on the drama. It's a quality, obscure little story, by one of those big name scifi authors, buried in one of those myriad scifi collections from 1950's or 1960's (?). My Dad got so excited by the mobius theme that I remember an evening learning, then making, then playing with our own homemade mobius strips. Became a part of the kid repetoire for all of my friends...

skoshi said...

Oh, and yes, Shirley, after we met up, we realized we should have a plan for traveling in unknown places. Marks idea was that we should always know where we are going and meet up down the line, and mine was to stay put, in case one of use didn't know where we're going. Haven't gotten it ironed out yet! :)

Steve Stenzel said...

Whew! Scary!!

Podium quest said...

Not familiar with the movie. But that's quite a story. Did he get into a lot of trouble or what/ LOL. Glad your ok.

Bones said...

Wow, Thats kind of scary! Glad it all worked out! You'll have something to hold over him for a long time :)